I Forge Iron

Coal Sale good deal?

DennisG

I am currently talking with the folks at Teck Coal. They have 2 mines in the southern rockies on the B.C. side in Canada that produce met and thermal coal. Their coal has about a 9.5% ash, but the sulfur is close to less than 1% and above 14,000 Calorific Value in BTU's. The size of the coal will typically be minus 2 inch mesh and smaller and have fines.

The price they sell to their over seas customers is $165 USD per metric tonne. The person I am talking to is going to see what can be done for a smaller amount, 1/2 ton truck or 45gal drums. Mind you, they usually only sell in the rail car load size.

Is the price even in USD good compared to what ppl pay in the US (1Tonne = 2204.6 lbs)? Is the ash ok? Are there any questions I should ask them?

If I am able to secure a load or drums for personal and guild use I will look forward to the 6+ hr drive in the rockies, and seeing a coal mine operation.

DennisG

I would suggest that before you make a large purchase of coal, try it. There is nothing worse than having a couple thousand pounds of crappy coal. At one point the place I get my coal changed suppliers, and we had to burn crappy coal for a year or so until it was gone and we got decent coal again.
Mark