I Forge Iron

forging spurs

An out of print book by Robert M. Hall is "How to Make Bits and Spurs." I used DealOz.com Official Site | Buy Textbooks | Sell Textbooks | Used College Textbooks | New College Textbooks | Textbook Price Comparison | Cheap Textbooks | Cheapest Textbooks | Compare Textbook Prices | Textbook Buyback | Textbook Price Bot | New and just now and 3 copies showed up. Alibris has one for $27.00+.

It is an excellent book and shows much of the California style including some silver work.

http://www.turleyforge.com

MarkC -- Here is a picture of the rasp spurs from a previous thread. These are made by cutting the rasp in half, splitting lengthwise about 4 1/2 inches, folding it over, shaping the shank, shaping the heal band. I weld the open side of the shank and split it with a cut off saw for the rowel.22yjd2.jpgI also forge one piece spurs in historical patterns.
Hope this helps John

In the late 1800's, there were beginning to be made "one piece spurs," but prior to that, the heel band had a rectangular hole in it to receive a tenon, the tenon being on the end of the rowel shank. After insertion, the tenon is peened into the hole's countersink inside the heel band. It was filed smooth and burnished. When inspecting old Mexican and California spurs, the burnished part is almost invisible. You can sometimes see what we call a "ghost of a rivet," a faint outline.

Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School : The Granddaddy of Blacksmithing Schools

So the shank and the heal band are one piece? Or is the shank welded on?

bobinbama -- They are one piece. Cut the rasp in half cross wise. Split about 4 1/2 - 5 inches for the heel band, and fold it length wise. The split part makes the heel band, the solid folded part becomes the shank. I weld the open side of the shank as well as the center inside of the heel band.
John

MarkC -- Thank You for the compliment. I'm better at the forge than writing, which is not saying much either way. Here goes.
Forging one piece spurs: Here is one way.
1.use large enough stock ! 5/8 square is a good size.
2.Split about 5 inches for the heal band. I used to use a cutoff saw, now I have a metal cutting band saw.
3.Heat and spread the heal bands. Forge the center till the cut cannot be seen. Some bend the heal bands at this point, I prefer to wait as it makes the rest of the work easier.
4.At this point I bend up the ends of the heel bands if they are going to be bent. Straight heel bands with a fixed button require heel chains to keep them in place. Spurs with raised ends or with swinging button hangers don't use heel chains.
5.Cut the chap guard with a chisel or hack saw. I start the guard with a hack saw then raise it on the edge of the anvil. Get a good heat. Put the cut on the edge of the anvil and drive it down by hitting the inside of the heel band in the center. Doe's this make sense? I don't have a picture of this operation. That is the way I got the flat faced chap guard.
6.Now shape and bend the shank. Much grinding and filing will come latter.
7. Bend the heel band. I made a plate with a

Edited by jevaccaro