I Forge Iron
Sign in to follow this  
KYBOY

Idler Valves? Make your own?

I was wondering, for you guys that use idler valves are they just a normal propane/gas lever shut off valve inline? Ive got a regular "Hank Hill" propane guy here close that Im sure carries them if thats the case. Thanks

My idle valves are a needle valve, purchased through Zoeller forge, and a ball valve to shut off the main flow. The valves have to be rated for propane gas.

this is very similar to my circuit. I have a master cutoff between the idle circuit and the regulator, and a 2 burner manifold after. I put a valve on each burner, arguably unnecessary, but allows flexibility.

Phil

Mine has a ball valve at the burners and at the regulator. In what order does the idler valve go? Between the regulator and burner ball valve I assume?

I am not sure, I think mine is a like a ball valve, with the lever. I don't like messing around with my propane stuff, so I bought mine with my forge from diamondback ironworks.

Kboy, sounds like you do not have an idle circuit. I have my tank, then regulator, a ball valve, then a ball and needle in parallel, then my manifold to the burners. The ball and needle in parallel is the idle circuit.

Other than a few fitting choices my setup looks like this

I can try uploading a pic of my set later.
Phil

For any future readers who would like a diagram/plan, I've attached a PDF with the basic layout (shown above in Phil's post). There's an explanation of how it works, and two diagrams depicting gas flow with the ball valve either closed or open. 

Forge - Idler Circuit.pdf