I Forge Iron

Forging large stock (on a handle or tongs)

I got an 8LB sledge today at the Depot. Seems like a good weight as the 10LB just seemed to heavy to swing for very long. After i've contoured the face slightly convex what hammer technique do I use to push the metal away from the handle?

This guy seems to work from the tip toward the handle?
YouTube - Pattern Welding Tutorial - Part 4 - Drawing out the Billet

is this the apropriate way?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason he was using what looked to be a chopping maul. The face of which was large and flat. Not conducive to moving material fast. This negates a fullering effect. Also, he wasn't using a full swing.

Keep in mind that large and heavy doesn't always mean better. When hammering, the inertia of a fast moving hammer provides the required energy and force to move the material. Speed is the key! (Study Newton.). Mark Aspery could explain this much better than I.

Now, when I draw down a bar of material I move the material not the hammer. In other words, I hammer down in the same spot every time and move the bar. The same concept as a power hammer. I start at the end of the bar and work towards the tongs.