I Forge Iron

Demo for County Schools

This past Teus. and Wed. I got to demo for the County Schools. The County had what they called a Agriculturial Fest for the fourth graders from the area schools. We talked about what a Blacksmith would make for the farmers back in the late 1800's. Then I forged a simple J-hook with a twist and gave it to the teacher to hang in the class room. On Wenseday my son's class came through and I had him helping me at the forge, we had a good time and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Can't wait until next year to do it again.

Blacksmithing seems to be a real magnet for the school kids, especially the boys. One thing guaranteed to get a reaction from the kids is when you quench the hot steel in the water. That and putting a twist in the steel.

Be prepared for the following 2 questions: can you make a knife?? Do you make swords?? I get these from just about every school group, regardless of the age.

Keep your projects really short. The groups are usually on a schedule and can only spend a limited amount of time in the forge before they have to move on to other displays. For the most part I do: nails, leaves and "S" hooks.

Besides asking about knives and swords they ask do you make horseshoes. I did have a great time and the shop I worked in was built in 1861 and was located in the town I live in. I also got some history on the Blacksmith that owned the shop from some older folks that hung out there as kids. Pretty neat stuff!!