I Forge Iron

Back with a sword

Hey everyone! Don't knwo if any of you remember me . .I haven't been in touch because of college. But this summer I managed to get in some forging time and I made my first semblance of a sword. First ever big project. Imma attach a pic of it. . taken after i sanded out the hammer marks. pls be critical :D:D

17857.attach

17858.attach

Since is was a first project i left it pretty thick and heavy 2 have enough stock 2 grind off 2 get rid of hammer marks. I estimate it will be 3-4 killos and it's 1.2 CM thick at the ridge . . but that will change. It is 1.30 M long and I have yet to decide on the finish or fittings. Probably brass guard and wire wrap on the handle. I will not be able 2 work more on it because of college. So maybe I'll finish it during the summer.

Note that the average weight of a european using sword for nearly 1000 years was around 2.2-2.5 pounds or just above 1 kilo. Your blade is WAY heavy even at the long length of it. Can you hollow grind it? A fuller would have helped during the forging.

Everything you say is correct however I lack the skill to forge a fuller. I made it huge for a reason. I need to grind a lot on it, a lot of straightening, a lot of shaping. Also the steel is of lesser quality. I basicly wanted 2 know I had the ability to forge something sword-like. It will end up a practice weapon that only cuts by weight with the sentimental value that is the first rather ok thing I wrought. I lack a lot in experience and skill (something I hope to fix while I am not in college). All your comments will be noted and used on my future projects. and I hope they keep comming ( both the advice and the projects) thanks!:D

Great job Mende! Don't worry about the weight, you are not likely to need to swing it for an extended time in battle.:D Looks like you really got the bug. That thing will really impress your friends too! Keep up the good work. We get lots of "I wanna make a sword" guys and you are one of the few to actually do it. Fantastic!

I disagree---he wants to do it *right* and that's a beautiful thing itself! So helping him is much better than telling him it's OK IMNSHO. What steel did you make it from? (blades can lighten up by as much as 50% in the stock removal phase so you are not too far from the "sweet spot")

Don't kno the steel. I just found it. Even without heat treatment it seems to be elastic. It took a LOT of effort to bend it even a bit. It hums like a tuning fork if i hit it. It was regular square stock. Thx for complimenting my efforts so far and rest assured I have no intention of quitting.