I Forge Iron

Good starter anvil

Here's my starter anvil, mounted on a good piece of wood stump, that's been squared off. It's good and heavy and has decent rebound. Got it for free. I also have another slightly larger piece of rail that I am going to square off. Put it on end either in a bucket of concrete or on a stump. It isn't much but it's a good start.

17771.attach

17772.attach

The tail has a prichel hole in it so the previous owner put that on..the weld needs to be redone however, its split right where it it was welded to the rail. I don't know if it needs to be preheated or what..not being a welder. And yes getting ready for the winter..

Also, want to get together soon. My girlfriend needs to get her certification test done soon. So I hope to get down that way before too long.

I think I'd remove the block with the pritchel and make a separate holder for it.

A good option when you get the other rail mounted on end is to weld a 1" impact socket into he angle of the web and flange for your hardy hole. In the same sense you could either make a pritchel hole hardy tool or weld a drilled piece of steel into the other side of the web/flange corner.

Yes, preheat before welding and allow it to cool slowly. I don't know the "right" temp but I've had good luck around 450f or so. Of course it may be just that, luck.

Frosty

Another thing I was thinking of was to remount it on top of the rail. Making a step, a good flat spot, more material under one place on the anvil and a prichel hole as well. It would also not suffer from shear forces when hammered on. I would have to have it done I don't own a welder or know how to use one. I have so much to learn...

Edited by K. Bryan Morgan

I would go for the hardey and pritchel holes on another piece. The overhang is already causing problems, if you overlap it onto the face of your anvil then you are losing working space. If you set it up on another stump then you can leave hardy tools set up while you use your anvil and switch between them as you need to.

On the other line in this thread, I could not even start to think about preparing for the winters you must get with that location name.

If one person tells me I have a horses tail, sometimes I don't listen, but when 2 do it, I check to see if I can swat flies. I will make a separate stand for the prichel block. I'll probably be able to knock it off with out too much trouble. The break is way more than half off already and I can move it a little by hand. So, not much holding it on at the moment anyway.

Here's my starter anvil, mounted on a good piece of wood stump, that's been squared off. It's good and heavy and has decent rebound. Got it for free. I also have another slightly larger piece of rail that I am going to square off. Put it on end either in a bucket of concrete or on a stump. It isn't much but it's a good start.

A piece of rail is my current anvil. I want to get an actual anvil but thus far my rail has done quit well.