I Forge Iron

One of mine

V

I am in a very basic level. This was made of an unknown classification of steel, nevertheless showed a hamon. Came from an old crop cutter saw. Let me know what you think.
(sorry, I must to awarn I am not a good hamon photograper, so, any help is totally welcome).
Thank you.

488.attach

489.attach

490.attach

Nice work Victor I like the style of that blade. & Welcome To Iforge Iron
I look forward to seeing more of your work.

To get a better picture of your hamon, try these 2 things that help me.
# 1 bright but diffused indirect lighting from several sources ( no bare bulbs or the sun reflecting off the blade to wash out the hamon ) also if you must take a photo using a flash, tape or hold a peice of white tissue paper or a dryer sheet over the flash bulb.
# 2 Reflect the color black into the blade ( a peice of black cardboard or black cloth held 12- 18 inches above the blade) so the reflection shown is dark. This helps highlight the whiteness of hamon.

Other than that its just Polish, Polish, Polish then Re- polish :)

Hope this helps.

Jens

Thank you guys, kind words helps. Oakwoodforge: Is it possible you put that words in a diagram? Just a simple draw, I guess the source of lights must come from three or four points, maybe?, I think I have a good enough camera, but photographer need more trainning as in polishing. Thanks in advance.

Víctor.

Here is the Light tent I put together today, Inspired by Sharp By Coop, Thanks Coop ! SharpByCoop.com - Home - Professional Knife Photograhy by Jim "Coop" Cooper for the discriminating knife maker, collector, or dealer
My Little light booth took some scrap dowels and PVC pipe and 4 yards of the cheapest white nylon fabric Walmart had to offer and a handfill of saftey pins. The light bulbs are the most expensive parts at $8.48 for a two pack.
The 15 watt Fluorex CFL 6500K Daylight spectrum Lights Of America bulbs are the ones I bought ( CFL = Compact Flourecent Light ).

Jens

528.attach

Here is a pic of a knife I just took in the setup, to highlight a Hamon line with this setup simply hold a sheet of matte black posterboard above the camera in such a way that you see black reflected in the blade.
Now If I just had a knife with a hamon here at work with me, all I have is this little box cutter :) Maby I'll bring something in on monday.
Hope this helps

Jens

529.attach