I Forge Iron

Hello.

stephen Furley

I'm Stephen Furley, from London, England. Age 52, work as an I.T. Technician in a large College.

Last month I did the one-day beginners' course which Kath Shortland runs at her forge at Kew in West London. I believe that somebody else here has done the same course, but I cannot remember their name. Mainly interested in architectural ironwork.

There's an article about Kath here:

Westside - Features

This is the poker which I made on the course, and also a small 'S' hook. It's not as good as the one which the other member made, I'm not really happy with the shape of the crook, and I got the metal a bit too hot, and burned it. It's not too bad as a first effort though; the twist is ok, and there's always next time to do better.

IMG_0482-1.jpg

Edited by stephen Furley
Link not working.

HI Stephen im in glos uk - just looked at the link you put up - looks great - I havent done anything with these two but have heard of Shelley from BABA mags. Looks like a nice poker you made - hope you like the forum - i think its great:)

Hi Beth,

My father was from Gloucestershire, Stroud, but he moved to London after the war. I went to the house in Stroud just once, while his mother was still living there, but I was only about three at the time, and don't remember anything about it. I've been to Cheltenham twice recently, and if I go again I'm going to try to find time to go to Stroud.

I'm going to try to get another day at Kath's forge towards the end of October. It's a nice setup they've got there, very well equipped. Shelly wasn't there the day I went, I think she does mainly furniture, while Kath does just about anything.

Welcome aboard Stephan, glad to have you.

Those are both nice pieces for a first go at smithing. It's a perfect example of the benefits of having someone show you how rather than trying to teach yourself.

If you WERE satisfied with your first attempts you'd never make a very good blacksmith. Satisfied or not they're both darned well done.

The "S" hook can be reshaped easily for better proportions and I guarantee you wouldn't be the first person to toss a "finished" piece back in the fire after taking a close look at it.

Frosty

I think the next time I go back the poker will be going with me for a bit of 'tweaking'.

I would definitely recommend Kath's one-day course to anybody in the London area who wants to have a go at blacksmithing; the forge is very well equipped, and Kath is a good instructor.

When I did it the cost was 90 pounds, which included material, coke, instruction and loan of protective equipment if required. I had my own boots, but needed apron, goggles and gloves. I'd prefer to work without gloves, but got a blister at the base of my thumb.

I've found the other member who did the same course; it was Bob JS. His review of it is here:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/my-first-tongs-day-tuition-10774/

As can be seen, his poker was better than mine.

Kath does not run these courses on a regular basis; she only takes two students at a time, and will run one when she has two people waiting who can make the same day, and she is not too busy with her own work. I first contacted her on 26th of June, and she was able to offer me a place on 15th of August.

It is probably best to contact her by e-mail; her address is in the magazine article which I linked to in my first post in this thread.

I think the next time I go back the poker will be going with me for a bit of 'tweaking'.

I would definitely recommend Kath's one-day course to anybody in the London area who wants to have a go at blacksmithing; the forge is very well equipped, and Kath is a good instructor.

When I did it the cost was 90 pounds, which included material, coke, instruction and loan of protective equipment if required. I had my own boots, but needed apron, goggles and gloves. I'd prefer to work without gloves, but got a blister at the base of my thumb.

I've found the other member who did the same course; it was Bob JS. His review of it is here:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/my-first-tongs-day-tuition-10774/

As can be seen, his poker was better than mine.

Kath does not run these courses on a regular basis; she only takes two students at a time, and will run one when she has two people waiting who can make the same day, and she is not too busy with her own work. I first contacted her on 26th of June, and she was able to offer me a place on 15th of August.

It is probably best to contact her by e-mail; her address is in the magazine article which I linked to in my first post in this thread.

• 4 weeks later...