I Forge Iron

~my first knife~

Danz409

Im basicly posting this to show my first knife / first peace other then my fire poker. that if made with my new hobby. made from a simple railroad spike. theres clearly better knives out there. but as a first time smithing peace i don't thank its all that bad. if you see any work that can be done that can inprove this. or something thats just not right about it. please feel free to post it. i could use all the education i can get. this was made with no training from an outside sorce other then what i can gather from watching a few youtube videos and hanging out here at IFI ^^.

look forward to doing more projects!

tools that could of been usefull for this would of been a much better belt sander. the one i used had a metal backing on it and restriced what parts i can sand.

an anvil would of helped for the curves on this thing. i dont have any heavy peaces of metal that even resemble a horn. closest i have is a segment of track

16991.attach

16992.attach

Edited by mod07

tools that could of been usefull for this would of been a much better belt sander. the one i used had a metal backing on it and restriced what parts i can sand.

ok, i may have found a cheap salutoin for this... im acculy supprised at how cheap.. does anybody have any expernace with this sander?

Harbor Freight $40 sander.

if so. please fill me in on the details. i wouldnt mind getting this if its not a pile-o-scrap

I have a 1"X42" Dewalt sander like that. Not the best for knife making, but it works once you learn how to use it. But keep in mind that this is primarily a woodworking tool and the sanding belts I have experience with are made for woodworking. They don't last very long when grinding steel. I've gotten to the point that I use a file more than the sander if I can get away with it (should be read: if I have the patience for it at the time ;) ).

thanks kashmire, i see angle grinders for mega-cheap on harbor freaight i might pick one up with some disks/ sanding pads. im also going to need a vise eventuly too. so i might head to some flea markets tommarow to look around and try to find a vise so i can do twists in the handles an such.

To help in finishing work on your hammer technique. The less dings you put in the blade the less that you have to clean up later. A flatter will help give a better surface also.

The Harbor Freight grinders are OK, but don't expect a lot from them. They are what they are. I have picked up good quality grinders at flea markets, automotive swap meets, auctions, and garage sales. Check your local Craigslist under tools. In the last month I have bought numerous blacksmithing tools including anvils, tongs, forges, hardies, fullers, etc... With the down turn in the economy there are a lot of used tools for sale. Might also check the local pawn shops.

pretty cool stuff, looks like it was a tool i have for carpentry!
i got this grinder from harbor freight on sale for $49 and it's ok and not enough ass to get on it with steel but it is ok otherwise and has been a big help on my fingers which have been cut up on the angle grinder and pad sander!
check out this one:
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

otherwise like you say the angle grinders are cheap and do a good job and harbor freight has a ton of cheap wheels for the grinders.
just so it is known, i do only shop harbor freight since i have no money to get good stuff but soon that will change and i will try to buy American products.....if theres any left that is????????????

I actually have that grinder Dan and it's ok. As was said it's not the best thing for knife grinding but it does work and it's much cheaper than a KMG. The motor is a little weak so you can bog it down fairly easily and the belts are a bit too small but if it's what you can get, go for it. It's still faster than filing and it does a relatively good job. I like working with it myself but I'm still planning to make a 2"x72" eventually.

Hello I'm new and I'm also just starting out with blacksmith but I love it already. I need some tips on knife making like what kind of forge would be good and if I can make. Next is that I'm in Oak Harbor and need some more training and was wondering if you could help find one.

Hello I'm new and I'm also just starting out with blacksmith but I love it already. I need some tips on knife making like what kind of forge would be good and if I can make. Next is that I'm in Oak Harbor and need some more training and was wondering if you could help find one.

Look up washtub forge. Then after getting tired of buying charcoal, look up how to make charcoal.