I Forge Iron

Building a Shop

• 2 weeks later...

I converted my yard implement shed into my shop. It's a 12 X 20 wood frame structure with wood floor and not insulated. Double doors open up to 10 X 7 on one end and there is a passage door at the other end. I put up sheetrock on the walls and cement board on the floor to reduce the fire danger. I have my coal forge, welding machines, work bench, leg vise and various other items in there. In winter I heat with a kerosene heater. I buy a lot of my material from the local steel supplier and some I pick up at the transfer station for free. Most of the bought material comes in 20 foot lengths, so I bring tools and cut it in half so I can carry it in my truck. I've been wanting to build a power hammer but the wood frame floor won't take it and that might be crowding my space a bit. Until I had put up the smoke pipe, I had wheels on the forge and would roll it outside to work. That was okay until it rained or winter rolled in.