I Forge Iron

Any interest in screw machine bar ends?

The company that I am the tool maker for is a large screw machine company. As such we generate a large number of bar ends that are usually around 7" - 8" long with diameters from .0625" - 1.00". Materials run from Stainless ( 303/304/316/416 etc), copper (C97, C99, etc), brass (360, etc), and beryllium copper (173 mostly). Any interest in these for your projects? I bought some of the bar ends from the company, and resold them to others that could use them. The flat rate USPS box seems to be the best deal for larger quantities. The prices vary depending on the scrap market. Unless I can get the ends directly off the machine myself ( rarely happens) they end up getting mixed with other grades of the same material IE; 316/393/304/416 all get tossed into one bucket. We occasionally also do some shapes - stainless hex mostly, and some aluminum.

I know about the potential hazards of the Beryllium, but some folks can use it for special applications, and I can sell it for a lot less than the $21-$23 per pound for new. It is some pretty incredible stuff, and heat treatable. I have seen knives made from it, as well as hammers and other tools. It does machine well in the annealed, or softer states. A lot tougher to machine when age hardened.

If there is any interest I can see about grabbing some more before they make another scrap run, and get some current pricing.