I Forge Iron

Forged/Blown/Raised Goblet

Hello.
Today I just forged the iron componant for a piece I'm working on. It is a multi-media goblet: Steel tree with brass accents on a blown glass orb base, and instead of leaves there is a raised copper bowl. The top is fairly large and has to be meticulously balanced (the glass piece shrunk in the annealer and it is smaller than I would have liked, oh well ), I'll post pictures tomorrow when I finish up the tree, and later pictures of the whole piece. It is due August tenth, and is coming along quickly, so it should be done soon.
Merry Metal Pounding,
Stay cool,
Archie

I didn't get terribly much done this morning, because I have never done any hot cutting before, and just figuring out how to do it without a second person to hold it took a lot of fooling around. In the end I used a cold chisel to start the cuts, and hot cut almost all the way through, then finished the cuts off with the cold chisel. It took a very long time, also because I was using wood to forge with, I ran out of charcoal yesterday, and wood is a more finnicky fuel.

Archie, your piece's "shrinkage in the annealer" may be what I took to calling "visual shrinkage" when I was doing glass at Punahou... IE, piece looks bigger on the pipe than it does in your hand. Make a pair of smith's calipers or something to check for actual size. (Grin) Helped me a lot. Especially handy if you start doing encalmo...

ugh! It is taking longer than I expected, today I did the bulk of all the branch shaping. Tomorrow is finishing touches on the branches, and roots, then the next day is tighten the twist in the trunk (maybe insert a knot or two in it), and bend the trunk a bit and add the brass fastenings (they are ready) After that is raising the copper bowl and fitting/assembly. I've got my work cut out! :-)