I Forge Iron

Seeking advice on mine shop set up--6 pictures.

Found out a bit more about the building. Turns out it was built in 1893. The floor has always been a dirt floor, and there was a iron stairway just outside the doors to the shop that at some point will be reinstalled. There was also a rock retaining wall that can be rebuilt if I want (of course no money is available for any of this). I am focusing on the shop itself for now, but I'm generating interest in the community and folks are starting to filter through that have pictures and other info regarding the building that I'm in. The mine's second blacksmith shop (the actual building belongs to Michigan Technological University now, which is where the AE Seaman Mineral Museum will be located--work has now started on the old machine shop) is just within view of my shop if you climb a small hill. I'm also starting to move my iron through the giftshop. There is lots of interest in my miner's candlesticks, but less costly items seem more popular :) Hooks, key chains, and such.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are some more pics of the shop. I've made some changes, it has more of a blacksmith shop feel to it. Suggestions and comments sought.

quincy_shop_forge_anvil.jpg
The forge has a blower attatched to it now.

quincy_shop_tongs.jpg
The large tongs are original Quincy mine tongs, the farrier's tong is for size comparison.

quincy_shop_tool_legvise.jpg
My vise stand and some of the tools from the assorted metal pile from earlier pictures.

996.attach

997.attach

998.attach

You have really made some improvements. Looks well thought out and in good order. One thing I notice right away is it appears to be really old and aged with bright wood in a few places. I wonder how it wouid look If you took the shine off the new wood. I have used watco dark walnut oil,, wipe it on and wipe it after it dries a bit,,,Not to get a furniture look, but to tone it down,,,likely a lot of other products that would work also,,,

i agree with the fire extinguisher in bold plain view, even putting a big abnoxious sighn above it that says "this wasn't here in 1832, so ignore it unless you see a fire. why are you still reading this sign? there are more interesting things going on in the shop, if theres a fire and you're reading this sign you should stop reading and extinguish it, seriously by this point it might be too late and you should just run..." or something to that effect.

the rule of thumb in regards to anvil height is it should be at knuckle height if you're standing next to it making a fist. its better to have it too high than too low, to low and it will destroy your elbow