I Forge Iron

Introduction

PeteH

I just found this forum, quite by accident, and it looks like it will be very interesting.

My name's Pete, I live in north-central Noo Joizey, and I'm a retired chemist. I studied ironworking at intervals in the 70's and 80's, and now that I'm retired I want to get going at it again. Not here - this is a little suburban hamlet, and they'd ticket me six ways to Sunday if I started hammering iron - but I'm planning to relocate.

I'd put my (former) skill level at slightly past "beginner": I've made hooks, pokers, flesh forks, hinges, flint strikers, and one lousy piece of pattern-welded steel, about 1/4 the weight of the stack I started with. PRESENT level... well, let's just say "rusty".

For the moment (after posting this, that is) I'm going to "lurk" for a while and try to catch up on what's been going on.

PeteH

And that, as they say, is that.

Welcome aboard Pete, glad to have ya.

There's lots of room for everybody here, feel free to browse around and get to know some of the folk.

A good place to start is reading the "Getting Started and Lessons in Blacksmithing" sections to knock some of the rust off. The "Blueprints" section is full of tools, equipment and projects from working blacksmiths and a good read.

Take a lunch and something to drink, you'll need the nourishment when you lose yourself reading. ;)

Lastly don't lurk too long we like talking to folk.

Frosty