I Forge Iron

Right angle bend formula

• 1 month later...

A couple of thoughts. If you stack two separate pieces together at a right angle corner, say one of 15" and the other 10.5", you'll get your stock length of 25.5". If you measure the neutral axis, you'll get the same measurement. Staying on the neutral axis for the center punch mark, drop back 10.75" from the short leg end leaving 14.75" for the long leg. It's easier to visualize if laid out on graph paper. We're doing simple arithmetic, but it is nevertheless ballpark, because everyone works differently and at different heats. Test pieces are in order.

Another thing I often consider, because I've made lots of turned heels (calks) on horseshoes. I try to think about where the inside of the bend will be when I start. On an upset corner, you'll finally gain length, about the thickness, on the fixed piece you're holding. You'll gain it measuring from the inside corner because of the stock material in the bend itself.

I assume this is an "upset corner." If it is, one way is to bend, and to keep the bend at about 100 -105 degrees while using friction/drawing blows to draw metal to the outside corner. You'll gain a little thickness which you can correct as you go. Toward the end of the forging, little by little, close the angle to 90 degrees trying to keep a shut from occuring on the inside corner.

Buena Suerte

Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School

Edited by Frank Turley