I Forge Iron

about using sandpaper/emery cloth

hello . i was just wondering what do i use as lubrication for wet/dry sand paper or emory cloth. i finished my first knife recently and was surprised at how fast the snadpaper became clogged. i use silicon carbide paper start at 60 or 80 and progress through to 400 (i just got some 800 i will try with next knife)i do all work by hand. so if anybody can tell me the best luberication and how much to use as well please and thank you. i started to look through here but my eyes hurt from staring at the monitor for last couple of hours.

Water with a few drops of liquid dish soap works very well for wet and dry. Say 3-4 drops per cup water. It isn't a formula or even a recipe, just don't over do the soap, it's a waste. Light machine oil like 3 in 1 works well for emery cloth as does diesel or kerosene.

We used to polish LOTS of Al parts with emery and kerosene in Father's shop. After a few hundred parts the kero and al dust slung off the part in the lathe, would permeate my clothes and skin turning me a metallic gray that lasted for days. After doing a few tens of thousands for weeks on end it took a solid month or better to wear off.

Ahhhh, the good old days.

Frosty