I Forge Iron

Pottery kiln for heat treating

Used pottery kilns seem to be fairly cheap are set up for tempurature control and even for ramping up and down in temperature. Does anyone here use them for heat treating? How well do they work for lower tempreratures for tempering ?

I have found a used kiln in fairly good shape for $200. I just got a PO for job where I have to forge quench and temper about 180Lb of 4340 and I also have a job that is supposed to be coming up soon where I have to forge quench and temper 250Lb of 4140 and 100lb of W1. The heat treating cost on the job I already have the order for, will more than pay for the kiln. I am also thinking with a few simple modifications it could be used for a salt pot

Salt will eat the elements in a kiln. I've been reading about what the potters do recently and that is what they are saying. They have a process where they put salt and pottery inside a container and fire it. Evidently some of the vapor gets out and eats the elements.

If the kiln has the right shape to contain your pieces I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Most Kilns go up to Cone 10 which is some where around 2350 deg. F. in our terms.

John
Yes it will certainly work but unlike an industrial kiln or heat treat furnace they are very fragile if you where to hit the inside with a big chunk of metal it will disintegrate. Also make sure the power is off before trying to take your work out as the elements are live.

Bob

The kiln I was thinking of buying has sold but there are others for only slightly more. From what I have read the heat treatment salts are not as corrosive as Sodium chloride. I will be carefull of the soft bricks and the wires.

Was working from a friends salt pot today, sure nice for austenizing. One drop of sweat from my friends forehead caused quite a splatter of hot salt though! Use every safety precaution! This was gas fired with pyro control in the salt, lotta knife makers use such. Commercial units just pass a current thru the liquid salt.

Edited by nakedanvil