I Forge Iron

first knife almost finished (peening question)

panzertank27

18 inch overall
12 inch blade
leaf spring from a toyota minivan
handle is oak
pins are mild steel
quenched in motor oil @ nonmagnetic, file tested
kitchen oven tempered
(im thinking of drawing the back of the blade w/ edge in 1/2 inch water)
sanded to 220 grit so far (i know its not perfect, lots of dings n dents but all work is done by files and hand sanded and im still learning patience in sandin, my mind is already thinking of new blade designs and i just wanna finish this knife. i had milled a gaurd of mild steel but i filed it to wide and didnt feel like spending the time on another so i ended up with a simple wood handle. the handle is only shaped it still needs a good rough sanding , progression, and then a nice 400 grit finish, the blade will end up at 400 grit too.
things i learned: plan simple knives for now, be carful when filing. scratches are a pain, dont be scared to quench the oil wont catch fire too much, patience is a virtue i have to work on.
question... do i peen the pins when the epoxy is still wet or wait till it dries, i would think that its done when its dry but maybe ill loosen them when i hammer them?????
ps i still will draw back of blade
finish handle
finish sanding near bolster
epoxy handles on
peen pins
finish sand 400 grit.

15882.attach

15883.attach

15884.attach

15885.attach

thats a bad *** knife, i dont have answers to your ?'s because iv only made a rr spike hawk so far, i have a lawnmower blade knife half done, but i keep killing blow dryers, i gotta get a reliable blower...
the knife looks great

Edited by mod07
Language

I would pein the pins after the epoxy is set. I always leave the pins long and clamp the slabs til the epoxy sets, then trim and pien the pins. You shouldn't need to worry about loosening them. You will have one end backed against a hard surface while you pien the opposite side. I use a lot of light blows instead of just trying to clobber the pins.

I would recommend getting all of the sanding you are going to do on your blade done before glue-up.

Also, I would leave the handles "almost finished" as far as sanding goes. This will allow you to clean up any epoxy that might (will) squirt out. PLus, you can touch up any minor dings from the piening process. Be careful and steady.

When the glue is dry and the pins are piened you can finish sanding the handle, thus mating the wood and steel together in clean lines.

Then, use whatever oil or sealer you plan to use on the wood. A bit of masking tape around the blade will save you some headaches there. As a matter of fact, just mask the blade with tape as soon as you finish sanding the blade, leaving only the handle area exposed. Leave it this way until you're done. Might spare you some scratches on the blade and some cuts on your hand.

Good luck,

Don

Edited by Don A

wWashers under the rivets will help prevent splits, counter drilled so they set flush they look pretty nifty.
I peen one side and then install the rivets. Here's a little tutorial, scroll down until you see rivets.
Link removed at the request of anvilfire

No. Wet wood swells. What starts out tight will be loose when it dries.

You want your wood well seasoned and well sealed. Some makers insist on using professionally stabilized wood.

You might try getting some scrap handle material with a dummy piece of steel and doing some practice pins. I know how you feel; you want to get it right the first time, but don't over think it. You just need to get those pins to swell by a thousandth or two. Plus, if you do a good epoxy job, the glue does most of the work anyway.