I Forge Iron

first knife

It's my first time so be gentle with the reviews. 7" overall. 3" blade, jimping, Handle is solid piece of oak, i have no clue what type of metal, just a piece of scrap we found laying around. made it with my grandpa's woodshop, needs to be buffed, the smudges are a previous attempt at blueing the blade

15871.attach

Edited by mod07

looks pretty good for your first knife!
Using unknown scrap though, it may not hold an edge depending on what it was, if it was mild steel then it will not be too much good for holding an edge.
Next time use a piece of automotive leaf spring, that way it will be a usable knife, unless you have the money then you can just buy good knife stock.
Keep up the good work.

welder19

Surely Grandpa has some old, worn out files laying around?

You can do a lot with them... knives and such.

They are usually 1095, W-1, or some such. Very high carbon (unless it's a later-day, case hardenrd foreign import). Do some research on "spark testing" and you'll be able to tell.

When you finish the blade, normalize it.

Oil quench at critical (if you don't know what that means, keep reading).

Temper.

I would again recommend that you take time to read everything that Iforge has to offer. It will be worth your time. When you get through here, check out this page:

Information on making knives

That oughta' hold you for a while.

Don

At least in the photo, the smudges give it a rough look that is rather attractive. Good job. I look forward to seeing more work out of you.

P.S. Unless you want a new addiction, stay away from the forge! You'll soon find that you love it, no matter how many things you ruin in the fire.