I Forge Iron

Real Footy

Strine

I thought folks that are not full bottle on Australian rules footy might like a gander at this snap. Taken over the weekend and published in the morning paper (The Herald Sun) it shows what grass-roots suburban footy is all about. This is real footy... no hype, no advertising and no huge pay packets, just the glory of playing for your club and a pizza award if you manage 'best on ground'. It's been raining for two days around here, temp about 11 degrees C and well, some of the grounds are no better than cow paddocks at the best of times. But look at the grin on all their faces - they love it. Oh to be twenty again!! and not over fifty, paunched and balding.

For those unsure of the scene, the man in white is a white maggot aka an umpire, the players in the dark coloured shorts are the home team and those in white shorts are the away team.

Oh and Mt Evelyn and Wandin are located between Chopper and myself.

"BORRRRRRLLLL"

347.attach

Never let it be said that you Aussies do not have enthusiasm(sp). it takes a lot of want to, to have fun in these conditions.

I have Rodeoed on this kind of ground conditons. You worry more about a bull or horse falling on you, than him bucking you off.BOG.

Chuck

Apprenticeman...it depends on your passion. What is gridiron, is that football? I've never heard any other code called "footy" though. We also have two forms of rugby which I suppose is another football code. But that's played by the thugs, er... gentlemen up north.

Usually, soccer is soccer, Footy is *always* Australian Rules football, and is sometimes also referred to as "the AFL" or "Aussie rules".

Rugby is divided into "league" and "union". Good luck getting an explanation of the difference between the two. :)

In Perth, the soccer is making headway, so it is possible that occasionally football can refer to the soccer. Perth Glory seems to be getting more popular every season.

For more info, I recommend either afl.com, or go to triple j radio and look for the HG and Roy podcast. Those two are pretty funny, but you'll prolly learn a whole lot about us "down under" and our rugby, AFL etc...