I Forge Iron

anvil dressing

I just bought an old anvil (made in sweden, I'm pretty sure it is forged not cast) that has a few cuts and blemishes. The cut/nick is on the bick and I would like to smooth it out so the cut isn't transferred to the metal I am forging. The cut is probably only 1/32" deep. My question is should I use a file or angle grinder with a grinding wheel or flap disc to dress the cut away or should I fill in the cut via welding rod and then dress the bead down. I hope that I posted this question correctly, as this is the first time I have ever posted anything on my computer. Thanks in advance for any help with my question. dfq3

why dont you post a picture of your anvil and cut. many people get worried about smooth flat faces and horns and go through alot of trouble to "fix" them but normally only end up damaging the anvil instead. a few little cuts from a stray chisel with not likely show in your work. grinding or welding on the anvil is probably a really bad idea

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!
A 1/32" deep cut!!??! and you want to remove it??!? Are you making surgical knives? Unless you have been smithing for quite a long time, you will probably put some dents in the face yourself...I know I did:( Seriously, don't mess with it and if it is THAT bad and you just can't sleep at night then a grinder with a flapper disc will take it out....but, then you see another one and think "I'll just fix that one and quit"....then you see one more and think....you get the idea. Best to leave it alone til you are positive you want to do the repair. (And that should take at least a couple of years of working with the anvil)

If you would clink on 'User CP' in the green bar at the top of the page and up date your profile giving your location we can help you locate other tools, blacksmiths in your area, blacksmith groups in your area, AND we will have an idea of where we can stop and have supper when we are in YOUR area;)

Edited by Thomas Dean