I Forge Iron

Newbie Introduction and Question.... Cool Tools and Gadgets to Forge?

Howdy,

My name is Marion David Poff.

I have recently become interested in Blacksmithing. I have always been interested in knives, but then last summer I saw a local blacksmith forge a leaf, and it was magical. So, then I began to learn how to make knives, late this winter. And the gentleman that I am learning from, is a 4th generation left handed blacksmith, who really just makes knives, anymore. But, all of this contact with forging and smithing, has really got me going about it....

I have made two knives.... But, now I want to start smithing gadgets and tools, like skewers, awls, ice-picks, nut crackers, dividers, that kind of stuff.... You all have any ideas of other gadgets and tools to forge? Any great references out there?

Marion

15661.attach

15662.attach

15663.attach

15664.attach

Edited by mod07

Start with the blue prints here. Then there is a lot at the "IForge how to" at Anvilfire Blacksmith Projects

The Bill Epps books are good too and Glenn has them for sale in the Tailgating section here.

You Tube has a bunch of videos where you can see the process in action.

Last (definitely NOT least) check out the archives here for all of Brian Brazeal's posts.

BTW I really like your knives! I am one who likes seeing a little scale and pitting on the surfaces... I find that rusticity far more interesting than polished surfaces. I can see that you have talent.