I Forge Iron

Not the first nor the last: BP0192 Burner help needed

TheGreenMan

I am trying to make a gas burner like the one in BP0192. I have everything, as near as I can tell, like in the blueprint except for 2 things:
1. The hole in the cap is from a #60 drill bit and I'm not entirely sure if the hole is strait and completely burr free.
2. I did not fuller the 1''x12'' iron pipe.

If I light it the gas almost immediately starts to burn the reverse of what you want and it makes a lovely backfiring noise. If I use a 1''x6'' pipe it will burn ok (seems to be a bit blue green flame) but makes a bit of a light put-put-put/backfiring noise.

And probably not relevant:
If I use a bushing and a 3/4''x6'' pipe I can get a light flame going but it will put itself out if I try to turn up the gas. Similar results with a 3/4''x12'' pipe.

I have sealed all joints with plumbers putty, I am using a 0-30 psi adjustable regulator (though I can't tell what psi I am using). I think I have the hole pointing right down the pipe. I have tried with the brass fittings slid all the way back and moved it forward all the way (to the end of the slot which was cut to just past the threads in the bell). No real change.

Any help/suggestions would be nice. Do I just need to fuller the pipe? Thanks.
I'll see if I can take some pics later on tonight.

GreenMan, I had to look up the blueprint BP0192.

I have not attempted this burner assembly, but have built several other kinds. I see a few problems right of the bat in your post.

Make sure the jet hole is drilled straight, aligned down the axis of the pipe, and burr free. This will make a difference!

Fuller the pipe for this burner...... The intent is to create a high to low pressure change, thus slowing down the velocity of the mixture and letting it mix and burn properly. If the fuller in the pipe is not there, you will have to change other characteristics of the burner to get the mixture to burn properly.

Have you had much experience making burners?

Please use caution and follow directions closely if you do not understand the behavior and dynamics of these various types of burners. The easiest and safest way to learn and understand the burners and how they work is to build them as specified from someone who understands how to build them. Once you have a better understanding, then by all means, try new things and improve them, but definitely, respect them and most of all.....PLEASE BE SAFE!

Some pics. Looking at that last one it does look like the hole in the cap is not right. Well I'll wait for the #65 bit to get here and I guess I might be able to find someone some where with a drill press to drill it for me. Any ideas where?

15579.attach

15580.attach

15581.attach

15582.attach

Make sure the jet hole is drilled straight, aligned down the axis of the pipe, and burr free. This will make a difference!

I think this and the fuller are my two problems. I have no way to drill the hole very strait, just a drill and my arm.

Fuller the pipe for this burner...... The intent is to create a high to low pressure change, thus slowing down the velocity of the mixture and letting it mix and burn properly. If the fuller in the pipe is not there, you will have to change other characteristics of the burner to get the mixture to burn properly.

I hope I can get this to fit in my 2 brick forge. :-)

Have you had much experience making burners?

Nope. This be my first.

....PLEASE BE SAFE!

Indeed. Thanks!

After looking at your pictures, I think the reduction diameter (fuller) in the pipe will be a big help. It looks to me like you are not getting enough oxygen at the right velocity for proper mixing and it is seeking it out at the intake of the burner.

Try the fuller section in the pipe first and light it up again. If you don't have a means to fuller the pipe, try a reducer bushing and another bell to open it back up just for a trial.

A handy trick to check the alignment of the hole down the axis of the pipe is to adapt a fitting to connect a water hose or shower hose to the tube and squirt water down the axis of the pipe. It is pretty easy to see the stream of water vs. guess on the alignment of the gas jet.

Good luck and Be safe.

Slight update. I've fullered the 12'' pipe down a bit but the flame still goes out if I turn up the gas much. It does look and sound much better at a low pressure though ot backfires if I let the pressure go down too much. Do I just need to fuller it more? (I will but I just want to know if I am on the correct track.) Thanks.

What kind of pressure are you running at when it burns ok, and when it goes out?

How much of a fuller did you get on it? What is the I.D. of the pipe at the smallest point? Got any more pics?

You want to be careful to not reduce the I.D. too much. This can limit the burner by not allowing the needed amount of air for proper combustion. (it will pull air through the smaller hole at a higher velocity, but it will start to restrict the volume)

I can't tell you what pressure I am running at as I do not have a gauge, just a 0-60 psi (not 0-30 like I said earlier) regulator. I have it running OK at just slightly more than the pressure I use to light it any more than that and it goes out, so not really high at all. If I keep it at the lighting pressure it will backfire fairly quickly. The ID of the pipe is just over 3/4 of an inch. Which is why I think it needs narrowed still. I am reducing the diameter a little at a time, letting it cool in between and trying it out. I'll see if I can get some pics up later. Right now I got to go look for a house to rent. Hopefully I can find one so I don't have to keep living in an apartment.

Thanks very much for the help. It is nice to have someone to ask questions of. Thants why I like this site.

It would be nice if there was someone in Cincinnati/Mason/Loveland that could help out but I haven't heard of anyone around here yet. Sorta strange considering how big an area this is, though it is mostly city and suburbs.

The bps are a real good place for folks to learn in many areas. They are usually based on a design that works well for the person doing the bp. When you change components of the design you are in uncharted areas. That does not mean there are things that may even work better if someone experimented a bit. However it seems that the simplest and best way to go is to follow directions to the letter. Choosing not to do so is almost sure to lead to less than the desired results. It seems that may be the case here. Start over at square one and item by item check every piece. Sizes methods etc.

I call this "chasing your tail" Trying to remedy things that you seem to know are not correct is tough. But you have a great plan if you will just get back to it. As Bryan suggested use a water flow through the jet to see if it is flowing straight is a fine way to determine if the hole is straight. And for me I believe that for someone that has little or no experience with a gas forge the absolute best way is to start with a commercial forge that is proven and guaranteed to work. For all the work you can put into a home built for your first forge you could have spent that time forging and learning.

There have been so many folks on here posting about similiar problems with home builts that I can say that. For those of you that have built home mades and they worked fine from the start,,,good for you.

Edited by Rich Hale

• 3 weeks later...