I Forge Iron

tire hammer effectiveness

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and I must admit after all I've read and looked for videos, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about how good tire hammers really work. I'm going to buy a power hammer later this year and I've come down to the Anyang 33 or a KA75. Mainly for the cost and effectiveness. I'm leaning heavily towards the Anyang because I built a 50lb treadle that does work for certain single strike duties and some drawing. All the information you people provide is extremely helpful to aid in making choices about equipment. Thank you. Maybe someday a tire hammer video will reveal itself on you tube!

Spears

The couple of times I saw Clay Spencer demonstrate with a tire hammer I was impressed. They were the best running 50# Little giant type hammer I have ever watched run but most of the LG are old and tired and in poor tuned shape.

A KA75 is a different animal than a traditonal power hammer.
I have a friend who has made 2500 hammers or so on his KA. Need less to say he has the system down pat and has wore out a couple of KAs

The tire hammer is a good hammer, 2 things are against it, 1. it has small dies. 2. it is light and needs to be stabilized. Other than those 2 things, I have foundthem very versatile and comparable to 25 and 50 lb hammers, they can really move the metal, and I am very pleased with mine. Costwise nothing out there seems to compare, and they are easily moved, and only limited by your ability to use them and make tools for them. I was in a pro shop in Salt Lake and the owner had 2, and a big 100 pound crusher, he said he uses the tire hammer all the time.

The tire hammer is a good hammer, 2 things are against it, 1. it has small dies. 2. it is light and needs to be stabilized. Other than those 2 things, I have foundthem very versatile and comparable to 25 and 50 lb hammers, they can really move the metal, and I am very pleased with mine. Costwise nothing out there seems to compare, and they are easily moved, and only limited by your ability to use them and make tools for them. I was in a pro shop in Salt Lake and the owner had 2, and a big 100 pound crusher, he said he uses the tire hammer all the time.

How much smaller are the dies? Can they be made bigger?
How does the light weight affect them other than stability? Presumably one could cure that by bolting to the floor or using larger framing material?

The dies on mine are about 2x4, and it can definately be stabilized, as for bigger dies, the problem would be the size of the ram, and the force application on the outer edges of the dies, where they stick out past the ram support, probably not a good idea, but the existing dies seem to do everything I need, and as well as at least 3 little giants I have worked on and a kerrihard, or whatever it was called, just a good little hammer.