I Forge Iron

how much is material

Steel prices are variable depending on location. You must contact your local supplier or get a quote from a shipper like MSC- www.mscdirect.com. Or you can try the dreaded King Architectural- www.kingmetals.com. Or the much loved McMaster Carr-

Steel has become a commodity and the price has just about doubled in just a few short years and varies with the vagaries of the economy.

My price is different from your price as I buy a lot and fairly regularly. And depending on how close to the source your dealer is will depend on your price. Not necessarily close physically , although that is a factor for added transportation costs, but is he a third hand middle man or first hand.

What are those m and m things after your sizes?LOL

Mild steel comes in 20 foot lengths traditionally.

12x12 mm is about half inch square. A little under. I think the last time I bought some - mild steel, A36, hot rolled, to be as specific as I can - it was something like 55 cents a foot. That was in 20-foot sticks. Something as long as 12 m would be special order where I buy. Notice all the weasel words in there - "about", "something like". Means I just can't remember exactly, and I may be remembering the wrong line on the invoice, and like others have said, a lot depends on where you buy. Seems like scrap, er, uh, "used steel" is maybe 40 cents a pound right now - where I go - if you found what you want that way.

Maybe some of that will help if you just need a number to plug in somewhere. If you really want an exact answer, about the only way is to contact a supplier and ask.

Does that help at all?

Steve