I Forge Iron

Bunch of firsts ...

In other sections of these forums, I have posted my progress on my gas forge, pics of my new anvil and stand. Well yesterday and today were spent trying it all out. Yesterday was the first time I heated metal in the forge and hammered on it. In my excitement, I decided to ignore some your advice that you have given to others and make a knife ( err ... letter opener ) out of rebar for my first try at blacksmithing. I had ton of fun and learned a few things along the way. Now that I have gotten that out of my system, I will grab some mild steel and practice some fundamentals along with making some useful stuff like tongs ;)

Some of you may have read my intro and know that I had a stroke in Dec. of 2008. My right side is still recovering and it was interesting to try hammering with both hands. I am naturally right handed but was able to hold the tongs with my right and hammer with my left. Holding the tongs with my right hand was awkward with respect to rotating but strong enough to control the tongs. Hammering with my right hand was controllable but very weak. Practicing will certainly make it stronger. Maybe, being able to use both sides will be an advantage :D

Here are some pics of my first project -

15487.attach

15488.attach

15489.attach

15490.attach

15491.attach

15492.attach

Rc - good to see your doing something after your stroke. This will be good therapy for you. I wouldn't worry about the re-bar thing - it's practice anyway. Keep up the pounding as you can and I hope it will speed your recovery - JK