I Forge Iron

Help Champion 400 Worm Gear Removal

Iron Dave

The safest way is not to try. Is the inside badly rusted? If not I would give it a good scrubbing with diesel fuel and put it back together.Fill it up with a nice light oil and blow lots of air. The thing is full of oil slinging around so rust ain't likely to pose any problem internally.

Finnr

I agree with Finnr, don't take it apart.
In my opinion you don't need to fill it up with oil, it'll just run out.
I have one and early on was told they are meant to leak.
Just add a few drops of oil before you use it and a couple more during the day if you think about it.

Billy

Well…. I was able to get the bronze spiral gear and small gear apart without damaging anything. I originally thought that the shaft had a sleeve on it because of how it looks, but I was wrong it’s all one piece.:rolleyes:

The inside has a lot of crud at the bottom some of it is rust, the gears had some of that crud and grit on them causing them not to run as smoothly as I would like.
I agree with bsiler about not filling it up with oil, I cant see how it would hold any oil since there’s no provisions for some kind of seal, and I would think that a seal would only create more resistance.

Originally I thought about sand blasting the whole thing inside and out and then painting it inside and out, But now Im wondering if a liberal coating of boiled linseed oil might be better.

thanks for the help guys