I Forge Iron

HIgh priced anvil LOL

I see no mention of a serial number. You might ask them about that. I ain't even gonna waste my time starting an arguement with a 40 year expert in antiques. My nickels worth. I see no particular picture of the "Numeral 3 "at the base of the horn. If this is a true antique artifact, then that's great. I hope it is displayed so the world can observe it.

$75000 requires a little more substantial evidence than that offered in relation to the authenticity of the anvil. My anvil is fairly long in the tooth and I bet if I came up with a good (believable) yarn I might be able to make a dollar or too. It would have make it belong to some one important though.

Who's this Thomas Lincoln bloke anyway. What's he famous for? I've heard of Abraham, famous for wearing a funny hat isn't he?

Now that I've saved $75000 what will I spend it on, siting better half's theory on shopping.

According to the blurb attached to auction, he was Abraham Lincoln's father. Apparently, his old man wanted him to be a blacksmith, but he went off and became a lawyer, instead. No accounting for tastes.

On another note, it's good to see you back and posting. Welcome back, mate!

G'day Smudger, I haven't been away or anything; just been using up all my posting time on reading a particular 'introduce yourself' thread...37 replies at the time of writing. That has to be a record.

And TH, history other than our own has been shoved down our throats for years so I have a fair idea of the importance of old Abe to you people...probably at the expense of our own leadership history... how many Aussies know that Billy Hughes (PM) was a striker or that Ben Chifley (PM) was the son of a blacksmith (who's ever heard of Ben's old man?). My point though, was that the father of someone famous is not famous for his own deeds (well maybe one deed) so such a price shouldn't be commanded for his anvil.

folks, Abraham Lincoln went on to be our ( USA's ) 16th President. Quite a feller ( even for a lawyer ).
So did Bush, what's the point?

Funny, when I was picking up my anvil recentely, I stopped by a couple antique stores in the small town I was at, which was really off the beaten path.

Ridiculous prices for old tools and the owners both felt they were very collectable items, like braces for $30-$40, a couple small english levels for $50-$60...

In this case we should all pay $74,800 more than the tool is worth as it belonged to Lincoln's Dad. Maybe the anvil is worthless, or why didn't Abraham take to it? That might be a question for Bush, he seems to know quite a bit...

Resists temptation to get political discussion started. Tools these days have become priceless antiques to people that really have no idea of what use the tool has. Unfortunately, we that do know ( and use the tools ) suffer. Thank a VET today for your freedom.

Ten Hammers (I've only got about 8 hammers;-)

Wasn't trying to get in a political debate at all, sorry for putting that in there. It just gets me so p.o.'d that folks think they can charge outrageous prices for tools that will be encased in a shrine and not used. A tool was made for one thing, to use.

With that said, I have some tools which I don't use and feel have collectable value, but those tools are in the minority of my tools. I don't need any einstein antique collectors explaining to me why a $5 brace is worth $40.

I bought a lot of 8 ball peins a while back on ebay for $12, and one or two had cracked handles...there was a single ball pein I saw in the antique store for $25. Ok, I'm off my soapbox...(p.o.'d at people spraying clear on an anvil because they think it will preserve it. That outta take some value away from it, IMO.

A friend of mine once was stupified at an antiques shop by a pair of tongs listed for $45 as he was standing there the dealer came up and said good price on those and when he questioned it showed him a catalog with a pair of tongs for $90---that had clear provenance to a famous individual. They thought that since that pair was 90 then their pair would sell like hotcakers for $45---at the time the going rate was more like $5. My friend offered to sell them as many pairs as they wanted for $20 and so let them double their money...

Thomas

It is funny to see the prices of some of these things. But one thing is for sure. They are worth only what someone will pay for it. Maybe not me or you, but someone is going to walk up on it and say "my grandfather had a pair just like that!" And the dealer will make the sale.

Peyton

Thomas, so true on the tongs...I don't get some of these folks...

It is funny to see the prices of some of these things. But one thing is for sure. They are worth only what someone will pay for it. Maybe not me or you, but someone is going to walk up on it and say "my grandfather had a pair just like that!" And the dealer will make the sale.
This is like taking advantage of people, IMO. However, if someone does pay for it, then it certainly must be market value.;-)

So, I said to this woman at one of the stores, "Wow, folks who live around here must really be willing to pay a lot of $$$s for tools out here, I'd never pay that...". Her response was that most of their customers are tourists passing through, that none of the locals shop there...even more pathetic...I guess I should be happy that the folks selling the anvil didn't expect to get a fortune and put a $500 reserve on it.

And the lady in the antique store can use one of her levels to get a level head on old tool prices...