I Forge Iron

Tomahawk handle finishes?

I am trying to figure out a taditional way of finishing tomahawk handles. I want the handle to be protected and sealed but not to slippery. I was thinking butchers wax or maybe linseed oil but I am just not sure. The handles I am working on right now 1 is made of red oak and the other is iron wood. I have used draw knives, spoke shaves and files to get the shape, then I used a piece of broken glass as a scraper to give them a smooth finish. I also used a torch to darken the wood and add detail to the grain. After all this work don't want to screw them up with a bad finish on the handle. Any advice would be awsome. I think my next handles I will try staining with chewing tobacco.

Linseed oil, all the way. Can't get more traditional/colonial than that. Rub in a half-dozen coats with steel wool, and it will truly bring out the beauty of the wood. If you like, put an aniline wood-stain on first, to highlight the cool parts.