I Forge Iron

New Anvil Smacker

Hammbone

Hello all; I'm Kinda new to all of this but have had some experience. I have had the privlege of working with Lori Sims out of Charlston Illinois for a few yrs. She is a Great smithy and learned alot from her. I learned forging ,and forge welding,and fuller work from her and I refind her welding skills.It was great to learn from her and she learned from me also.Since I have aquired my own tooling and outfitted my own shop. I have machine shop skills,lathes,milling machine,surface grinder,drilling, shaper,and welding skills.I was certified 6-g ASME back in the late 80's.I started welding with stick when I was 13yrs old.My grand father bought me an 80 amp welder way back in 1967 and I'm 55 yrs. young. I live in Mattoon Illinois with my wife of 23yrs.
I'm wanting to build an Appalachian Power Hammer and have gleened much Information from the web. I'm hoping to find more Information here at this forum.
Hammbone

Welcome aboard Hammbone, glad to have ya.

As it happens there is at least one thread regarding home built power hammers going on right now. There are also more than one here with intimate knowledge of power hammers of all kinds.

If you'll click "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If local folk know you're around they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

• 1 month later...

Thankyou guys for the warm welcome,as with my first post I mentioned I was making a power hammer.It is now complete and up and running.And from using the old trip hammers from Lorilie Sim's 5 points Blacksmith shop I can say I have a nice Hammer. Thanks to the wonderful internet snaching pictures was all it took for me to design my own. I'd post a video but the site wont take a 30mg file.;)