I Forge Iron

New electric blowers

I hadn't mentioned this before but I also have a source of very robust squirrel cage electrically powered blowers. I can't tell you much about them. They come in sizes from about as small as an alarm clock to so big you would carry only one! They are 1 phase 220 volt. I don't know what you would call the motor but it is the sort you can slow down by using a dimmer switch. I have been using one now for 3 years without any problems at all. They are substantially made but they look a bit rough.

Glenn, I am NOT advertising, just saying that if there is enough interest I can get a case of them sent to USA. They would be very reasonably priced!

What is it that makes hand-cranked blowers economically infeasible, anyway? (I can't help believing they are. There's certainly a market for them, so price is the best explanation I can think of for why no one is supplying that market in this country.) Most of the parts could be die cast from aluminum, maybe even a ZA alloy. The gears would be the most expensive part. Is that the problem? Are decent gears prohibitively expensive?

Quenchcrack- see separate thread on hand cranked blowers. That is what caused me to post this item.
Matt 87 if you want to buy a hand cranked blower in Europe there is always Vaughans (Hope Works) Check out their on line catalogue. The prices are scary but they will discount them fairly heavily.
I just thought a quantity of blowers (electric or hand cranked) sent to USA as a shipment and then retailed by a dealer there are going to be a good deal cheaper to the end user than individual ones imported by individual purchasers.

I thought about producing some hand crank blowers but when I priced gears that killed the idea. Not to mention there are a minimum of 4 different castings 2 of which have offset partings. To get decent prices on the castings the patterns would have to be matchplates or cope and drag. That is $8000 - $10 000 in tooling.
The only way they could be produced in North America economically is if there were thousands made or if they were made with a belt drive. The market is no longer big enough for a hand cranked blower.

Matt 87 if you want to buy a hand cranked blower in Europe there is always Vaughans (Hope Works) Check out their on line catalogue. The prices are scary but they will discount them fairly heavily.

Thanks Phillip. I've seen their catalogue of course but got a bad case of 'sticker shock'. Thanks for the tip, perhaps I'll see what I can get the to knock off...