I Forge Iron

Biologically Powered Hammer Test

It would be interesting to see what the same 5 and 10 hit results are for the use of one's normal hand hammer?

I doub't any of us could reduce a 1" bar to 0.3" in 5 blows, but I reckon lots could do the 0.9

Decided to take Dave up on his challenge. Hope others follow suit and submit their results.

Used 1 inch a36

First test was with my normal forging hammer a Clark/Hofi hammer 2 lb 12 oz

Face is only1 3.4 inches square with rounded edges resulting in only 1 1/2 inches of contact.

Next I used a 8 lb sledge first as a hand hammer and then striking while Tom Anderson held the bar for me. I have video clips that I'll post later.

Using a Hand Hammer and Sledge results in the "squished" area not being of uniform thickness. The forged area is a plane that slopes in 2 direction. What I decided to do it take four measurements ( Front and Back left and right of the 2 inch section) and then average them. This gives the equivalent thickness (thinness?) of the forged area.

Here are the results:
2 lb Clark/Hofi 5 hits - .906 10 hits - .781

8 lb Sledge (One Hand) 5 hits - .756 10 hits - .687

8 lb Sledge (Striking) 5 hits - .687 10 hits - .594

The four measurement for each bar were measured using a ruler and were to the nearest 1/8 inch (rounded up)

Pictures show the bars left to right 2lb12oz 5 then 10 (actually 11 hits*), 8 lb sledge one hand 5 then 10 hits and finally 8 lb sledge striking 5 then 10 hits

Here are the 4 measurements

2lb 5 - 1, 1, 3/4, 7/8 10 - 7/8. 3/4, 3/4. 3/4

8lb hand 5 - 3/4, 3/4, 3/4, 3/4 10 - 3/4. 5/8, 3/4. 5/8

8lb strike 5 - 3/4, 3/4, 5/8, 5/8 10 - 3/4, 5/8, 5/8, 3/8

Bill

* Seems my biological hammer has some control issues and it hit 11 times not 10 as you'll see in the video

15010.attach

15011.attach

Brilliant, thanks for taking the challenge! :D

I will have to try and aquire some 1" bar to do the test myself!

Just checking, A36 is just plain mild steel? I generally only work with tool/spring steels, so when I buy mild I phone up and ask for the 'general cheapy mild steel please' as I don't use much of it (the last 500kg lasted me three years!). I'll get a few inches from a smith nearby ;) I'm certainly not doing the test with a bit of 1" tool steel, it would make me look REALLY puny!