I Forge Iron

question on huon pine finsish

hi guys
i am about 98% finished on my very first pattern weldded blade and have used a peice of huon pine for the hande material.

just a litle info on huon pine; its is a very slow growing tree, aprox 1mm/year,
it grows almost exclusivly in Tasmania in Australia, it dose not rot and somthing in its oil resists borers, it also floats and thus was used for making boats. i belive it is also on the world heritage list.

i was wondering if any of you guys have had any experence with this material and it finish, if it needs one.
thanks in advance for any input/advice.

G'day Rraven, Dad was an industrial pattern maker back in the days before CNC, he used huon pine a lot, especially for fine and intricate patterns, it was prized for the closeness and tightness of the grain. The patterns were sealed with shelac an finished with 2 pac estapol. It will also respond well to any natural oil finish. As beautiful as it is to work with it, it is pretty much a bland and featureless timber.
Like any unfinished timber and being particularly blonde, it would pick up dirt and other stains if left untreated.
By the way the only legal harvest of Huon Pine in Tas these days is deadfall stuff, they are recovering full logs that have been submerged for many many years.

Where in Aus are you?

Edited by Mick
Oops, spelling

im in vic.
fyi i picked up this pice in a scrap pile at the huon pine saw mile down in Tasmania for $2, and they emphersized very heverly that all the huon pine they use is stuff that had been buried by the river and recved therafter.
and thanks for the advice