I Forge Iron

Odd color on my anvil

Hi folks, new member here. Picked up 2 rusty anvils last Winter. One of them looked like someone used it as a base for a cutting torch. Tried to fix some of it with my MIG and noticed a brassy color between the rust and bare metal on the edges of the weld area.
Tried a wirecup brush on the horn and saw the same thing.
Anyone know what this coloration is from?

ExtractedAnvilforWeb.jpg

And no it's not gold...
But just imagine... :mrgreen:

Thanks

Photo used with permission

the brassy color may be from the copper coating on your mig wire if it has a copper coating. The rust should all be removed in the weld are before attempting to repair it, rust is iron oxide and will contaminate the weld in any case, and Mig wire is not an option its too soft, MG740 is a hardsurfacing underlay rod and is good for this, it gives a good color match when ground down and it will be about 51 rockwell when you are done with it, and it will work harden from use.

MG740 is a stick rod, not mig

Thanks for replying. The color is not from the mig wire. I had tried a wirecup brush on the horn and saw the same thing where there was no welding.
Thanks for mentioning about the MG470 rod. I've used MIG wire before on a Peter Wright with excellent results. Since I'm again just cleaning up some of the edges on this anvil it should still work.