I Forge Iron

Stainless Advice?

I picked up 150-200 lbs. of scrap steel at a yard sale the other weekend. Some of it was high carbon, pipe, channel, angle, mild, high-speed, rebar, and what I believe is stainless steel. I say believe because it is still very shiny, and even though some of the other pieces have a slight coating of rust, this has none. A box about 18x24 inches that I could barely pick up, and a 5 gallon bucket that I had to take a good bit out to even lift. Granted a good chunk is what even I would consider scarp, but for 2 dollars I couldn't pass it up.

I plan on making up some trinkets, and possibly using it in some pattern weld damascus trinkets, like key chains and pendants, and other things that would make cheap birthday presents and such. Can anyone give me any advice on working the stainless? Not sure if I need to work it at different temps or need to finish it any different from mild steel. If so can I do this at home without expensive equipment.

I have an old champion forge and blower as well as a small anvil, and a large tractor tire weight for a large anvil, several different hammers, a small belt sander, and an angle grinder.

Thanx for the help y'all.

Sounds like you have everything but a fire going. Work the Stainless at a high temp and stop before it gets a dull red. It'll move a little slower but it'll go - be patient. I wire wheel froged S/S with a "stainless" wire wheel for my 5" hand angle grinder. Do not use a regular steel wire wheel on S/S or it will impregnate small bits of steel into it and you'll get rust spots from it. I coat the forged S/S with renniasance wax after the wire wheel treatment. - have fun - JK

Don't bother trying to forge weld the SS into a pattern billet. It can be done but takes some really aggressive (flourine (BAD for you) compounds) flux and is a pain then.

Work SS hotter hit it harder but you won't lose hardly any as scale. I usually get a little dark gray dust on y anvil from the SS version of scale. Clean with SS brush or passivate with acid or Citrisurf. I recommend brushing if the shape allows.

Frosty