I Forge Iron

BSD 2009 Scroll Tongs

I was "Riveted" to my seat for two hours while two blacksmiths from Williamsburg forged out a pair of scroll tongs from a rock (bloom). The bloom was made onsite the day before. They worked the piece down from about the size of a softball or a bit bigger to a maybe 1" by 1/2" by 8" long bar. Then they forged the bits and bosses on the ends and cut it in half to draw out the reins. The first rivet was a little small so they cut the long rein down and used it as the rivet. It was amazing to see. One thing I noticed but felt too stupid to ask was why they never brushed anything. I don't think I saw them use a brush one time during any of the demos. I started thinking maybe they didn't do that back in the day. Any takers? (not trying to start a war)

Rob.

Williamsburg_Scroll_Tongs_Whole.jpg

Williamsburg_Scroll_Tongs_Bits.jpg

They were probably working in the neutral part of a coal or charcoal fire which prevents much scale from forming, and the finish really isn't that important on tongs like that. They may have lightly hammered the steel pieces at a very low heat or even cold after getting them to size. That is a technique called planishing and was a common way of cleaning the scale off steel in the old days. A light filing with a very aggressive file or even rasp after it all is assembled is another technique used presently and in the past. They may have skipped that part because it tends not to be what spectators really enjoy watching.

No I don't remember seeing them do that. They did seem to like filing though :). Shelton was the striker and Steve had a hand hammer and they would pull the iron out and take a second to line things up then pound away. After they were done with one or two heats they would wipe or blow off the anvil. I didn't get any good pictures or Shelton's hawk head but it was pretty much the same process.

Rob.