I Forge Iron

bowie with comfortable handle

Hello Again,

This is a bowie knife that I just finished. It is not the one I asked for help on previously. This knife is "beefy." I left it much thicker than I normally would, so it should stand up to abuse, but it won't ever be a slicer (in present grind).

The blade is 8" long
1.4" wide
7/32 thick @ ricasso
1/8" near tip
Brass guard and butt cap
through-tang.

Scandi or Saber grind with slightly convex edge profile.
quenched in heated canola and tempered 3x for 1 hour at 350.
It has an edge quench, and there is a visible diff hardening line. I etcehd the blade to check for hardening and spot any cracks. This has been polished away.

The handle is walnut, and it is very comfortable and firm in the hand.

I appreciate any ideas or comments.

Thanks for looking,

Kevin

ps - don't tell me that the blade needs more polish. I have a tendon problem in my rt hand, for which I am having surgery in two weeks.

This brings a question - are any of those little hand-held tools that look like a cross between an iron and an orbital sander good for sanding/polishing knives. The little triangular corner projections in the front look as if they could be very useful. More precise than a belt and no more wear and tear on the body. Anyway, I would love advice on any mechanical way to sand and polish that can reduce the hand load, and is not a traditional belt sander or buffer.

14188.attach

14189.attach

14191.attach

14192.attach

14193.attach

Edited by kevin (the professor)