I Forge Iron

homemade forge

I have a 3.7 gallon washtub that I am using as a forge. This design comes from Tim Lively, straight off of the livelyknives.com website. I have fireplace mortar good for up to 2000 degrees F. The directions say that its used for cracks and joints about 1/8 inch thick. Anyone have an idea as to how thick I should put this stuff as to keep the heat in the forge? I'm thinking somewhere around 1/2-1 inch.

I lined a Buffalo forge that has the lips an inch or so above the iron hearth and it turned out well. The process is based on something I learned years ago when I used to help my grandpa build houses. In addition to carpentry, he did some rock work and one thing we would do occasionally is reline fireplaces. On horizontal areas, he would make up a mix, apply it dry and level, then spray water on top. This would rock up in a day or so without cracking. The mix I used (based partly on his recipe) was 3 parts mortar, 3 parts clean sand, 1 part fireclay and 1 part dry lime. I mixed it, poured in the hearth to a depth that was flush to the top of the firepot and raked it smooth, then sprayed only enough water on it until the surface was wet. I let sit two days before making a fire and it hardened nicely with no visible cracks anywhere. I think the minimal amount of water helps eliminate cracking.

Forgot to note that this is my permanent forge - it was lined last year and has no cracks visible anywhere. I angled the mix a bit higher away from the firepot so the coal moves downhill as I rake toward the fire.

The Lively plan is for charcoal, I built one in a wood box and lined the thing wih mud. You might try the mud grass clippings and then coat the mud with the refractory after it drys I used a small fan to help the dry time.