I Forge Iron

My first rr spike hawk

I upset the end of the spike to about 5/8 square then i slit it for the eye. i close the slit back up then start working on the hawk end once i got it shaped the way i wanted i drifted the eye. after that filing and grinding to final shape. I hardend it in a batch of supper quench it holds an edge fairley well. next one i do im going to split the end and forgeweld a bit of good high carbon steel in it and heat treat the end based on what high carbon i use.

That is really nice!!! I couldn't tell that you had upset the end so I was going to ask if you had until I read all the replies. I like the sheath a lot. It looks like a very good way to carry the hawk. I'll have to try a couple of my own hawks if I can light the forge next week.

That's a nice looking spike hawk. I enjoy making those myself. My son and I throw them quite often. Of course, spikes are not tool steel. But, my son has been throwing one for about a year and a half. He has went through a couple of handles, but it has never been resharpened. Did you make your handle?

didnt make the handel i orderd some on line didnt have time to make a handel for camping trip i intend to eventualy make my own handels for high end hawks but for spike hawks and such im just gona order them quicker and easyer for me.

you cant see the flub on the sheath when making the holes for the thread i came out on the edge at one place and the back side stiching looks perty bad just another learning curve to figure out. the stitching is tight i dont for see it coming loose any time soon but its one of those things.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...