I Forge Iron

CBA Conferance and my gallery submission

CBA Conferance this last weekend was an inspiration.... and then some.
The Itailian trio were flawless in there exacution of there project...All hand work sculpture. The midnight madness forging session on Saturday night was a blast. made some cool stuff and learned to make other cool stuff.

I learned something that has been ignored by me so far-
Job prep-
In talking with people about the work done by Claudio Bottero, Jadran and Martino Stenico I found out they had spent weeks preparing for this demo. First off they made the piece in Lead to fugure out the required amount of material, then they made it in steel to determine the lenght of time it would take and finaly they made all the top tools. WOW, so thats how one makes it look easy...Prepair and practice.

Something else that will help me, after working with the heat and before putting the item back in the fire, set up for the next move. Do a dry run, figure out how you will hold it, work it and support it. Place tools within easy reach.

I also wanted to share my submission to the gallery for this year-

13778.attach

:DThanks for all the kind words:D
In answer to the question of what it is-
As a friend said, you've got a very nice piece of fine art there!
Note- the picture should be with the round copper on top:)
iron giant-
I turned the base on the lathe out of Mahogany- I didn't see you there... What happened? Did you go?

Doug C
About the prep.: I did a full scale drawing (with revisions), I made the "arms" twice, didn't like the first ones... and then free handed the base after drawing a few very different ideas...

13804.attach