I Forge Iron

Hello

Pard

I came across an instructable maybe a month ago on making an aluminum melter. For some reason it just struck me as something right up my ally, I think 'love at first site' comes to mind actually. Since then I have been doing research on forges and smithing and smelting and what have you and I have decided I really do want to give this a try. I thought about the melting, but that is not me, I like to do stuff with my hands more and I decided blacksmithing would be something neat to try out.

Anyways I am very serious about this now, I have plans to build a forge, looking at just a tub with a blower and fed on coal or charcoal. Coal will allow for a hotter temperature, and I have plenty laying around, especially in the summer, we heat our house in the winter with coal because it is considerably cheaper.

I was also thinking I might start off with gas because a turkey fryer is 30$ and throws out about 160,000 BTU or the 60$ gives me 250,000 BTU, is that enough for melting metals though?

Anyways my task now is to research and to begin buying up pieces, which is hard on a high schooler's salary.

Anyway, introduction time, my name is Ian, I live in Connecticut. I am a Junior in high school, 17, and right now I am debating my future, I am thinking electrical because that is my favorite class in school, I love it, and it lets me use my hands and with time I can become my own boss. I also enjoy reenacting, but there is not a very large job pool for that, nor are there many jobs near me for it, this is some of what led me into the idea of blacksmithing by the way.

Not your typical Nutmeger, I do lots of hunting, I hunt deer, duck, hog, helped with a moose once. I also hunt with a bow, usually a recurve or a straight up long bow, no offense I just find bow hunting is about your own strength and to me compound bows are cheating, its like hunting deer without having to stalk him first. I also fish, take up odd hobbies, I am right now working on modifying our riding lawnmower, my goal is to get it running at 30mph with minimal engine changes, I am at about 20 now.

Anyways I found this website, thought it said blacksmithing on the top, and than I reread it and it said bladesmithing. It was an OK website, and I forgot to favorite it. So I go back to try and find it, I used Google, and came across this website instead. I like this one much more, the articles are a bit more thorough and people seem to know what they are talking about, the other site was a bit lacking from the majority of the people.

Welcome aboard Ian, glad to have you.

Nutmegger eh? Okay. ;)

Melting aluminum is reasonably easy and is a good intro into casting. Don't worry, there is plenty to do with your hands casting. It's kind of like the reverse of deer or moose hunting where the easiest part is pulling the trigger, the real work begins right afterwords. Most of the work is done before pouring the metal, cleaning up afterwords is plenty of hands on work too. Casting is actually the art of mold making, melting and pouring metal is an exercise in precision caution more than a high level skill.

Turkey fryers are for frying turkeys not casting or heating a forge. Sure there are lots of BTUs but they're all spread out, you'd have to leave a hole in your furnace large enough to fit the burner and that huge hole is going to vent most of your heat.

A proper burner is what you really need and for 60 bucks you can develop a few million BTU if you wish.

Coal does not produce more heat than charcoal. Once you've coked the coal it's almost pure carbon where charcoal is more pure carbon. Same stuff from different sources. Either will do the job just fine, heck if what you have for the forge is heating coal charcoal has a darned good chance of being the better fuel.

In any case, blacksmithing is a wonderful outlet for those who like shaping things with their hands or should I say hand tools. You will not enjoy touching hot iron with your hands and it will happen. Anyway, iron and steel are plastic at heat and to be able to model it like clay sings to my soul as it does to many.

It is HIGHLY addictive but I'm afraid you're already hooked so enjoy the journey. We're all on the path.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

The Lively charcoal forge is designed for bladesmithing but is also good for long work of any kind.

You can build a furnace to do both melt and heat for forging but it won't be best for either. Your best results will be with one for each.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If local folk know you're there they ca invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty