I Forge Iron

Bottom burner gas forge.

Jason M

Maybe because its hard to place the stock ON the burner? many burners heat the forge body from the inside, and radiate heat to the metal, not roast it like a steak. but there are designs that do just that, I think they are called a ribbon burner.

I had considered putting my burner in near the bottom but tangent to the curve of the forge shell (heat rises) Just didn't, but I don't know why that wouldn't work, however I agree, straight up from the bottom would allow stuff to fall inside it.

The Johnson gas forges (at least some of them ) have bottom burners. They also have a very powerful blower. On the one I had there were four burners mounted horizontally in the side of a trench about 5" wide and 6 or 7" deep and maybe 30" long. It used refractory lining in the bottom and had a swing away lid. It was primarily for larger jobs, in farm country the main use was probably used for sharpening plow shares. They could be used for a lot of other things as well. It had the ability to adjust the lid up or down, then firebrick would be used to contain the heat around the sides. I never lit mine, it was way too big for the small stuff I forge. I flung a bid on it an auction and kept it for a while,before selling it to a nearby shop. The blower would keep dirt from getting in the burners. And, yes, I wish I would have kept it. It would have been great for some of the stuff I did as soon as I got rid of it. I believe it would be unhealthy as I don't know how you would keep your shop from being full of airborne particles. OK--now I AM glad I don't have it any more. Anvillain