I Forge Iron

Greetings!

argent

I have been casually looking thru this site for a couple of weeks now. I feel it is high time to become a member, so that I can fully use this mine of information. the depth of experience is outstanding! I especially like the idea of NO SPAM.

Having been a millwright in my past life ( life before the freight biz ), I have had the tools and knowledge of machinery principles for years, and now that I am in a part of the country that has all the raw materials to fully pursue my crafting hobbies (except for silver), I am looking forward to picking a few minds, and offering any help I can to others.

I really enjoy making my own tools, and it seems that with the help of this site's "blueprint" section, I will have all the ideas I can handle for a long, long time!

Welcome aboard Argent, glad to have ya.

What do you have in mind craftyness wise? Smithing for it's own sake, perhaps to make specialized tools, combo? If you get into smithing you'll find yourself in the combo category a large part of the time.

Of course smithing just for the sake of playing with fire and hitting things is perfectly legit. ;)

Frosty

In the past, mostly silversmithing. I love casting wire blanks, rolling them out, and then drawing my own wire. Of course having a hot fire leads to making my own crucible tongs, and assorted small tools to help with my wire-making. I also love wood carving and I am getting to be a pretty fair hand at making my own gouges and chisels... nothing big, alas, my space is too small for very large work. My computer skills are still in the infant stage. I still do not have a digital cam, nor the knowledge to post pics yet, but that will come...

Thanks Frosty!

I think the largest or one of anyway demographic of smiths are wood workers who just wanted to make a special gouge or custom hinge for a project and are now spending way more time forging than carving.

Don't forget chasing and repousse tools oh yeah, engraving tools, can't have too many engraving tools!

This is an infectious flirtation you're engaging in you know. ;)

Frosty

Boy, you got that right! My wife keeps wondering what I see in it. I keep telling her that it beats hanging out in the bar! No really though, it is a very therapeutic hobby, I deal with people who (for one reason or another) do not want to do the job they are being paid VERY well to do (Teamsters), and it helps to have something hard to beat on at the end of the day.

Things right now are kind of wierd, I have just moved to a new place, and my wife and I are still in an apartment! YUCK!! I am very thankfull though, I still have a good job, the kids are on their own (well sort-of), and buying a new place is going well, but I miss my laboratory (shop).

I know what you mean, I retired after 30 years working for the state of AK. It seems the less a body does the more they think they're worth.

Hitting things with hammers really helps.

There are lots of tools and work arounds for a really small shop, closet.

Frosty