I Forge Iron

I went to visit some friends on Saturday and we stopped off at a shop that sells bankrupt stock. They had quite a bit of top branded stuff at good prices including "Eclipse" branded cold chisels and crowbars. I bought a couple of 1/2 x 10 and a 1/2 x 12 as I thought they might come in handy but was wondering what else I can make out of them? Is the steel likely to be good enough for punching or drifting in hot steel? I hate to pass up a bargain so if you guys can come up with a list of some stuff I can make then I'll buy some more next time I'm visiting! Also, are the crowbars likely to be the same steel as the chisels?

I buy cold chisels from a 'junk'/'recycling' shop for a small amount. They seem to be a fairly high plain carbon steel. That said Eclipse is a good brand so perhaps they would use a higher spec steel. If you contact them you they may be able to tell you for sure.

Some time back I purchased some no name (chinese) brand crow bars at big lots. The make excellent tools for repousse as they can be forged fairly easily, are relatively tough and if air cooled are hard enough to tke a nice polish and cheap enough not to sweat if you have to remake.

Try e-mailing their customer support; the worst they can do is say 'mind your own business' and they may tell you exactly what grade it is. Otherwise, can you spark-test?

CrV steels give good abrasion resistance and toughness, so sound ideal for a number of smithing applications. Hot-hardness isn't mentioned but I suppose the plain carbon steels that used to be used for everything weren't either.