I Forge Iron

Parke County 4H 2009

Thought I'd take a moment and post pictures from the 3 sessions we've had so far. We have 16 students so far. There are 2 students per station (4 stations) per session. One morning session 9-12 and one afternoon session1-4. There are 5 - 3rd year 5 - 2nd year and 6 1st year. I am proud of all of them. It shows there are positive things in store for the future. John Vanada and I are the instructors. John has the hat on and I'm the fat guy in the bibs.

John

13190.attach

13191.attach

13192.attach

13193.attach

13194.attach

13195.attach

13196.attach

13197.attach

Edited by JWBIRONWORKS

Here are a few more shots. Cody made a replacement set of tines for an old garden culivator. Adam,Heath,Dallas,Cree and Jayden are working on their first set of tongs. Garrett is working on a letter opener.
I would like to see pictures from other youth groups.

John

13198.attach

13199.attach

13200.attach

13201.attach

13202.attach

13203.attach

13204.attach

13205.attach

George,
We have 10 weeks scheduled. Beginners are usually done in 5-6 weeks. After that we spread the other students out evenly between morning and afternoon. Second year students make a project which involves the skills they learned in the first year. Scrolls,tapers,punching etc. Third year is more concentrated on tool making and this is our first year with 3 year students. All the 3 years will make a pair of tongs and do a story board (step by step layout of a part of their project) and then a project also. It is very much a learning adventure for both students and instructors.

John