I Forge Iron

Holding down a piece of scrap for an anvil?

I got a piece of metal about 4x3x1 I am using for an anvil. It is on top of a large trunk but I can not get it fastened in place so it bounces. I know of no where around here to get any large pieces of scrap. I have a chuck of RR track but that is no where near here and would also need to be fastened any way. I tried to use some bent-over screws but that did not work. Any ideas?

That's a pretty small piece of steel, barely 3.4 lbs. If steel is that hard to come by I'd call a machine shop and ask to buy a drop or find the largest sledge hammer head I could and use that. Try calling heavy duty truck shops and see if they have a broken or twisted drive axle you can buy or have. Set on end flange up in a bucket of concrete or buried in the ground they make a fine anvil though you'll probably need to flatten the top with a right angle grinder.

If you get your piece of rail find a track plate, four RR spikes and spike it to a block of wood.

Frosty