I Forge Iron

Is this workable?

I have been doing a lot of thinking about the forge that I need to build/buy this spring.

I recently visited Steve Sell's website (beautiful work by the way) and noticed that he has an outdoor setup. I just read the post from Black Maple Forge with the pictures of the chimney he is building and it reminded me of a brick outdoor fireplace that a neighbor of mine at a previous address had. This fireplace had a roof around it, but no walls.

I put all this together and wondered if it would be possible to create a roofed structure for a smithy with a forge that could do double duty as a fireplace for ambiance and cooking.

These functions would not have to take place in the same firebox or flue even, but be housed by the same masonry. Since I am a newbee and I am not sure how much of a mess the coal will make, I thought I would ask if this idea is even worth developing.

I am thinking along the lines of forge on the side away from the house and cooking/fireplace on the other. Is this crazy? Has anyone tried something like this? I have lots of room, but very high property taxes - hence the desire to create a less than permanent building.

Bill

• 1 month later...