I Forge Iron

Hello, from Telkwa B.C

Cleggweld

Hello all,

My name is Jared, i live in the small and beautiful town of Telkwa B.C. I am a welder by trade and have just recently got into ironworking (mostly scroll work) I am away from home upgrading my tickets and just recently built a scroll bender, After that i became very very interested in Blacksmithing. I have a 30x40 shop at my recently aquired log home thats just calling my name. It would be muchly appreciated if this community of "Smiths" could point me in the right direction in terms of setting up a smithy of my own; as well as passing down the ainchent knowlede of Iron working so that i can develope skills in blacksmithing.:D

Welcome to one of the most informative sites on the web. Great people here with a full range of skills and experience. There have been a number of posts on here regarding setting up a smithy but it really boils down to how you like your own shop set up. But one of the best ways to get specific information is to post questions. You will get the answers you are seeking either directly or be pointed to an appropriate thread.:)

Terry

Welcome aboard Jared, glad to have ya.

Setting up a smithy is pretty personal like so many work spaces.

There are a few rules of thumb that can be helpful. Set the area up like a kitchen using the 1 step (that's left, right or about 6') triangle rule.

With the forge as the center your anvil, treadle/power hammer, flypress, vise, mandrel, or whatever tools/equipment you'll be doing hot work with should be within about 6'. Tools you'll be using in combination should fall within the triangle.

If you have or download a cad or other good drawing program it's easy to draw your tools, equip, etc. and move it around your shop space. Graph paper and cutouts work too and have a lot to recommend them.

Once you have a layout you think you like find a parking lot the same size as your shop and mark it out with sidewalk chalk. Be sure to ask the owner's permission first! anyway, then us cardboard boxes and cutouts of your tools, equipment, etc. to get a walk around feel for the layout.

Then there are the mundane things. Lights, you can NOT have too much light, same for power outlets, 1 every 6-10' is just plain dumb in a shop, every 4' isn't enough. You'll want 220v on every wall too, maybe in a couple places on every wall.

Ventilation is really important as are escape routes. A door at each end of the shop is minimum though an egress window might do.

Frosty