I Forge Iron

IForgeIron-pass it on

Karen again, (Brian's girl and partner),
In an effort to help this site raise funds I e-mailed the blacksmiths, farriers and metal working teachers in our contact list.

We made this hammer in remembrance of Professor Alfred Habermann especially for the I Forge Iron fund raiser, all proceeds from this auction will be donated to raise funds for the I Forge Iron website. Alfred would have referred to this as a chislier hammer. (repousse) It has an octagonal face, weighs 2 lbs and is completely hand forged with a striker by Brian and Ed Brazeal. Except for the faces, there is no grinding. Made from 1 3/4 inch 4140 round stock.Brian Brazeal Hand Forged Hammer - Blacksmithing Classifieds

We would like to encourage all of you to visit and participate in this web site. It is a great place to share and promote blacksmithing. I Forge Iron has much to offer for smiths at every level. There are participants from more than 50 countries. In speaking with the Glen, the webmaster, he welcomes all types of metalworking from fabricating to repousse and knife making. There are smiths from all over the world participating like Uri Hofi and Mark Aspery as well as some we are just learning about, sharing their experience with new smiths like "Hammerkid" who is learning to forge and apprentices for a farrier. If you are interested in learning more or help can someone else learn more, please pass it on!Brian Brazealwww.myspace.com/brazealbrothers
I included the Aussie Brush Fire Memorial thread link.

I was surprised to find there were more than 125 on my list of contacts. I encouraged each of them to send our e-mail to their contacts in an effort to promote blacksmithing and to donate leaves for the memorial.

I have already recieved a great response but realized the most important responses were from the teachers at high schools and community colleges stating they shared the info with their stundents.

Blacksmithing was almost a lost craft because blacksmiths kept their secrets like magicians. We know now it is important to share this rediscovered knowledge with others and that is is not magic, and what better place than our schools. So I am asking all of you to send the IForgeIron link to the schools in your area in an effort to pass it on.
Karen Malone ;)

This is what I sent to the schools, notice that I copied one of the threads. -Karen

Hi all,this is from the IForgeIron website Brian and Ed have made leaves for this cause and encourage you to check it out. It is a great project for you and your students. If anyone needs help there is alot of it on this link showing what and how.Brian and karen Hi, this is Amanda, Paul's (Quang0's) partner-in-crime. I've been involved in the Tree Project since Salty started the ball rolling, creating the Tree Project website and photographing the leaves coming in and writing the press releases.

There's a couple of things I'd like to say to all the blacksmiths who have contributed:
Firstly, things have been horrible here. Over 7000 people have lost their homes and over 200 perished in the fires. The land is black with dead trees and remains of people's houses, some with coroner's notices and flowers indicating where people have died. I have been working at a local relief centre and seen the people who have lost everything, including their children. Many local people have approached me with tears in their eyes to thank the blacksmiths for this incredible project. The leaves you are all forging and sending to us are making a huge impact here. Thankyou so much for giving your time and skills to this project.

Also, I would like to thank Salty for starting the project and his continued enthusiasm, his gorgeous gumleaves and his hounding the local media to give us some publicity. Strine, Quang0 and Rick for coming along to the Hildebrand Festival and spreading the news to the local people here about the project and helping Salty out at the Warrandyte Show. If you haven't heard, we're allowing people to sponsor a leaf, to be made on their behalf by a blacksmith and stamped with their name. Many people are having leaves made on behalf of their family or in memory of someone who died in the fires. One of the things I noticed at these demonstrations is how amazed people are at the fact that blacksmiths around the world are involved. Local people who were born in England, America, Holland and New Zealand are so proud that their countrymen are supporting the people here.

I'll be updating the website soon with a new leaf gallery, a sponsorship page and an email newsletter. I'll let you know when it's done. Thanks again for your incredible support for this project.
The Tree Project